The Adorable Kitty on the Fence

This is a short story, or description, of the time I met a cat on a fence.

The warm spring breeze blew my hair into my face as I walked, annoying me. My sandals made their usual flip-flopping noise each time I took a step, echoing through the neighborhood. The trees, grass, bushes, and pretty much all the plants around me made my eyes water and my throat itch. Oh yeah, this was the perfect day for a walk. I mumbled a bit angrily to myself when suddenly, a small black figure caught my eye, perched on a fence in front of an apple tree. A cat? Yay! I love cats! My feet turned towards the fence, and I walked towards the fence and the cat. The cat meowed as I approached, tilting its head in curiosity. “Hello!” I said cheerfully. “How are you this fine day?” The cat merely stared back at me, not even meowing in response. “Okay then, can I pet you?” A gentle scraping sound began. The cat was rubbing its cheek on the fence post. I could not decide if it was marking its territory defensively or asking to be scratched on the cheek. “…Do you want to be pet?” I asked hesitantly, reaching my fingers towards the cats head to stroke it. The cat pulled back. “Maybe you want to get to know me first?” My fingers reached towards its nose, stopping about a centimeter short of its muzzle. It sniffed my fingers hesitantly, stopping and pulling back again. “So…can I pet you?” I asked again, reaching my finger towards its small black head. The cat did not react, just stayed still. “Okay then?” Growling. Was the cat angry? It had let me pet it so far? I backed away from the cat and it’s fence. “Sorry to bother you… I’ll be going now.” As I began walking up the sidewalk away from the hill, I saw a person walking the opposite direction. She was a middle aged lady, not much older than my mother, walking her small, tan, curly-haired dog. Had she heard me talking to the cat? What did she think? I turned my head down to look at the grey, boring pavement, and mumbled a quiet “hello” as she passed, just to be polite. She greeted me back, and we were on our way.